Yahoods.com brings you Headline News from Media’s leading websites on a day-to-day basis. Find out what is making headlines across the globe from your trusted media websites: BBC, CNN, MIRROR, MAILONLINE REUTERS , NBCNEWS, ALLAFRICA, ALJAZEERA, GLOBALNEWS, HUFFINGTONPOST, PUNCHNG, VANGUARDNGR, BUSINESSDAYONLINE, NGRGUARDIANNEWS, AUTHORITYNGR,
For today, Thursday, February 18, 2016:
How Chinese-Indians paid the price for 1962 war
As the world ushered in the Year of the Monkey, the eastern Indian city of Kolkata (Calcutta) also had its own Chinese New Year Parade.
That’s only fitting. Kolkata is home to India’s only Chinatown, complete with soy sauce factories, ornate temples and tiny clubs where old men play mah-jong. Even as recently as 10 years ago there were 25 dragon dance troupes in Kolkata. Now there are barely five. The Chinese have been leaving steadily over the last few decades. Read Full Story
“We left the country because of mistrust,” says Michael Cheng. “Otherwise today we might still be Indian.”
Turkey vows retaliation for deadly bomb attack
Turkey has vowed to retaliate against the perpetrators of a powerful blast in the capital Ankara that left at least 28 people dead and 61 injured.
“Turkey will not shy away from using its right to self-defence at any time, any place or any occasion,” President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said.
Officials said a vehicle full of explosives was detonated as military buses were passing by on Wednesday. No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.
The US condemned the blast, with National Security Council spokesman Ned Price saying: “We stand together with Turkey, a Nato ally, a strong partner.” The blast happened in an area close to parliament and military headquarters.
Large plumes of smoke were seen rising from the area and witnesses said the blast was heard all over the city.Read Full Story
Red Bull boss Christian Horner predicts F1 ‘season of two halves’
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner says anticipated improvements to the team’s Renault engine this year will create a “season of two halves”. Red Bull failed to win a race in 2015 as Renault’s turbo hybrid unit lagged behind those of Mercedes and Ferrari.
But the French manufacturer’s return as a constructor after buying out Lotus is likely to trigger “significant progress”, according to Horner.
“The first half is going to be less competitive than the second,” he added. “I believe it will be a transitional year. I think we are going to start the year with some progress from the end of last season, but I think with our engine partner’s commitment to buying a team we will see staged progress during the course of the year.” Read Full Story
President Obama: ‘Donald Trump will not be president’
Republican Donald Trump will not be president because it’s a “serious job”, President Barack Obama has said. “I continue to believe that Mr Trump will not be president. And the reason is because I have a lot of faith in the American people,” said Mr Obama. Read Full Story
South Carolina governor Nikki Haley ‘to endorse Marco Rubio’
The Republican governor of South Carolina will endorse Senator Marco Rubio for president three days before the state’s primary, US media report. Nikki Haley will announce her decision at a rally on Wednesday evening. She said earlier in the week she had not yet made a decision on who to support.
Mr Rubio has been placed third in recent South Carolina polls. Read Full Story
Pope Francis scolds person who pulled him down in Mexico
(CNN)For a Pope often seen as calm and collected, the look on his face after a mishap at a Mexican stadium came as a stunner.
The Pope was greeting a crowd in the city of Morelia on Tuesday when someone apparently grabbed him by the hand and wouldn’t let go. The worshiper ended up pulling the Pope down onto a young man in a wheelchair.Read Full Story
Syria: How one strip of land could change everything
Beirut (CNN)The dusty roads of Azaz, just off the Turkish-Syrian border, used to be the sort of place you whizzed through on the way to rebel-held Aleppo. Now it is the scene of seismic changes to the war in Syria, which could decide the most complex and unresolved question of the conflict: who will fight for Syria’s Sunni Arabs?Read Full Story
Anti-Semitism thriving in Europe
(CNN)Anti-Semitism is thriving in Europe, so it was no surprise to hear the news last month of record-setting Jewish migration to Israel in 2015. It is a trend that should concern European leaders, who should be asking how they have fueled this scourge. Indeed, the issue raises an extremely troubling question — more than 70 years after the Holocaust, has Europe really changed? Read Full Story
Syrian army on the ISIS front line: Russian intervention called a ‘blessing’
Eastern Syria (CNN)Driving along a bumpy road on the eastern fringes of Syria’s Hama province, dozens of government army personnel watch from hills overlooking the desert. Finally we reach a fork in the road — to the left lies Aleppo, to the right Raqqa, the self-declared capital of ISIS. In this barren place, we receive an escort to a large military base, where artillery cannons are firing intermittently. We’re taken to see the commanding general. Read Full Story
Egg-men, demons, apocalypse: Rare Hieronymus Bosch fantasies of horror reunited after 500 years
(CNN)Hieronymus Bosch arguably had the wildest, most fantastical imagination in art history — painting our deepest fears, our deepest desires.
500 years after his death, he is finally being accorded an honor almost certainly unthinkable during his lifetime — a retrospective in his home city of s-Hertogenbosch (better known as ‘ Den Bosch’ — or the Forest) in the south of the Netherlands. A mere 16 years into the new century, one British art critic has already hailed the exhibition one of the most important of our time.
Like a later Dutch master, Vermeer, Bosch didn’t leave us much — just 25 paintings and 25 drawings. But the small municipal Noordbrabants Museum has managed to borrow most of them (20 paintings, 19 drawings — everything pretty much except “The Garden of Earthly Delights,” his best known surviving work), even though it had nothing to lend in return. Read Full Story
Schoolgirls ‘phoned police asking for lift home after bludgeoning woman to death in her home’
Two teenage schoolgirls phoned police asking for a lift home after bludgeoning a woman to death in her own home – a court heard. The bloodstained body of Angela Wrightson, 39, was found at her home in Hartlepool, County Durham, with more than 100 injuries in December 2014. She was battered to death with a wooden stick laced with screws, a TV set, a computer printer, a coffee table and a shovel. Read Full Story
Do NOT reset your iPhone date to unlock ‘retro’ mode – you’ll just break it
Apple is warning people not to break their iPhones by falling for an internet prank. The online hoax tells users if they change the date of their device to January 1, 1970, they will unlock a retro Apple logo. In fact, the change can cause phones and tablets to become stuck in a reboot loop and never switch on again. The fact Apple wasn’t even formed until 1976 gives a clue that the hack is bogus. Affected devices include the iPad Air, Mini 2 and any iPhone 5s onwards. Read Full Story
Adam Johnson trial: Friend claims schoolgirl was ‘excited’ after ‘sexual encounter’ with England star who ‘messaged her daily’
The schoolgirl at the centre of the Adam Johnson child sex trial was ‘excited’ after she had a sexual encounter with the England footballer in his car, her friend has told the court. The ‘best friend’ – who cannot be named – told police in a video-recorded interview that the teenager was in a ‘good mood’ after she met with Johnson, 28, in his Range Rover last January.
However, she said the then-15-year-old’s excitement soon waned when she started to think about what she and the ex-Sunderland star, who was in a relationship, had done. Read Full Story
“Someone is trying to kill me”: Missing teen’s last phone call features chilling claim
The last phone call from a teen who has been missing since the weekend featured a disturbing claim that “someone is trying to kill me.” Teen Nicholas Hawkins was last heard from on Saturday at 8pm, and his car has since been discovered at a nearby property.
The 19-year-old, from Dora, in Alabama, called his mum and said “someone is trying to kill me,” according to Dora Police Department. He named the person but was abruptly cut off, it’s been confirmed, according to the Huffington Post. Read Full Story
Pervert secretly filmed up the skirts of more than 130 schoolgirls on buses and women in supermarkets
A pervert is behind bars after secretly filming up the skirts of more than 130 schoolgirls.
Christopher Baker, 40, was jailed for 12 months at Liverpool Crown Court after also admitting filming a work colleague and a relative who was using the bathroom. Baker used a hidden camera to film 132 unidentified girls travelling on a bus in the Stoneycroft area.
He also admitted filming five girls who police managed to identify, aged 11, 13 and 15, on the top deck of a bus, the Liverpool Echo reports .
Baker also filmed up the skirts of two women in Aldi supermarket, in Broad Green Road, Old Swan, along with an unwitting shopper in Home Bargains in Belle Vale Shopping Centre. Read Full Story
Cherie Blair facing corruption probe threat over £420,000 deal with a Maldivian despot
Murky financial links between Cherie Blair and the corrupt dictator of a tax haven with an appalling record on human rights can be revealed today.
A law firm founded by Tony Blair’s wife, who trumpets her human rights work, earned more than £2,000 a day representing Abdulla Yameen, the autocratic president of the Maldives. In a highly irregular move, the firm was paid more than £200,000 of its fee by a suspected. Read Full Story
White bread is toast, offal’s off the menu and curry’s in favour… how our eating habits have changed since the 1970s
Once a staple part of Britain’s diet, it seems that white bread just doesn’t cut it any more thanks to the nation’s changing tastes. In fact, sales have plummeted, with M&S scrapping white bread in its stores and shoppers spending £40million less on it last year.
Former favourites such as Spam, tea, full-fat milk, cabbage, faggots and cheap cuts of meat including liver and kidneys are also increasingly off the menu in many homes. Instead, we’ve gained an appetite for pizza, pasta, frozen chips, curry, ready meals and takeaways.
The remarkable shift in the country’s eating habits comes from an official survey dating back to 1940, parts of which have been published online for the first time. Read Full Story
Drunken boyfriend, 20, assaulted his girlfriend because she would not have sex with him during £320 Valentine’s night at The Ritz
A drunken boyfriend was booted out of one of the world’s most exclusive hotels after he attacked his girlfriend because she would not have sex with him on Valentine’s Day. Rhys Weatherburn, 20, booked a room in The Ritz in London as a romantic treat for partner Shannon Fidge. But when she refused to sleep with him following an argument over dinner, he lost his temper – yelling expletives at her while demanding she make love to him. Terrified, Ms Fidge screamed so loudly for help that guests in neighbouring rooms contacted the reception. Read Full Story
End this meningitis agony: Parents of toddler who died from the disease call for ALL children to get vaccine for the B strain
The difference between the two pictures is heart-breaking. In one, chubby-cheeked Faye Burdett gives a toothy grin for the camera. In the other, she is rigged up to hospital drips, as her tiny rash-covered body is ravaged by meningitis.
The second was taken just hours before the two-year-old died from the disease – and has been released by her grieving parents as part of their call to make the meningitis B vaccine available to all children.
It became part of the routine round of jabs offered to babies last year. Older children can have the treatment privately – but their parents have to cover the £450 cost. Read Full Story
‘A few weeks after surgery I accidentally caught a glimpse of myself. It broke my heart’: Mother, 49, wins £900,000 payout from NHS after medics missed mouth cancer which destroyed her face
A mother-of-three who lost her nose due to aggressive mouth cancer has received a £900,000 payout after a delay in diagnosis wrecked her life. Andrea McNicholas, 49, had complained of symptoms – including a hole in the roof of her mouth that wouldn’t heal – for more than a year. Despite this, the cancer went undetected and she was only diagnosed at its latest stage in July 2011. In November of the same year she underwent a gruelling 20-hour operation, in which her neck was dissected and her nose and part of her jaw were removed.
Following the surgery, Mrs McNicholas, of Wigan, Lancashire, was left with irreparable damage to her face. The former catering supervisor is likely to be fed through a tube for the rest of her life, has difficulty breathing and swallowing, and says her self-esteem is so shattered she barely leaves the house.
Now, following a four year investigation, she has been awarded £900,000 in an out-of-court settlement after Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust admitted liability. Read Full Story